WanderBellies

A Couple's Travel | Food | Lifestyle Blog

A Weekend to Warsaw, Poland – The Youngest Old Town in Europe

By Friday, March 17, 2017 , , , ,



It has only been about two weeks since I arrived in Krakow and I am bubbling in excitement to plan for my weekends and holidays. A small voice in my head works a constant reminder, this year will fly by, treasure it before it is gone. D had been extremely supportive and encouraging towards my adventures as my soundboard (read: itinerary suggestions provider / proofreader and activator to the muscle on my finger to click “purchase” on train and flight tickets – yes, I need that validation sometimes), with safety and concern being his top priority. With that, I booked my train tickets to Warsaw without hesitation and embarked on my first solo adventure last weekend.

Breakfast / brunch is my most favourite meal of the day. Arriving early on Saturday morning, I made sure to visit Aromat Bakery which is touted for its French artisan baking techniques, before checking into the hotel and heading into the Old Town for a walking tour.

Warsaw Poland Aromat Bakery - Breakfast
A quick breakfast bite at Aromat Bakery.
Following a really positive experience with the “Free Walking Tour” in Krakow’s Jewish Quarter, I signed up for their “Old Town Walking Tour” in Warsaw. The free walking tour took about two hours and was conducted in English by a certified local guide. The tour began with a comparison of Warsaw vs Krakow, and how both cities do not get along. Krakow used to be the capital of Poland before the decision was made to shift the capital to Warsaw due to its more centralised location for decision making purposes. With ~90% of Old Town destroyed in World War II, most of the existing structures seen have undergone reconstruction, hence making Warsaw’s Old Town the youngest in Europe.

Warsaw Poland Old Town St Anne Bell Tower
Bird's eye view of Warsaw's Old Town from St Anne's Bell Tower.
Beyond the facts, my favourite sights and stories from this walking tour include:
1. Royal Castle Square
Reconstructed after World War II, the square was beautiful, full of European-style flavour and was bustling with activity.

2. “Wishing Bell”
It was shared that if you want a simple wish to come true, hop on one leg around the bell for a single round. For a larger wish, you will need to make three rounds. Note, that you are only limited to one wish a day!

Warsaw Poland Old Town Wishing Bell
Everyone wants a go at the Wishing Bell.
3. Story about the poor wise man
There was a beggar who was bestowed with some cash to build a home. He was however, faced with a longer term issue of paying taxes. Taxes back in the day were calculated based on an estimation of how big one’s house was. To circumvent that, he built a house with the narrowest entrance, but the house expanded backwards like a trapezium. This way, he achieved the biggest house and yet paid the smallest amount of tax as the tax estimates were calculated based on the size of his front door, which was a lot smaller than his neighbours!.

If you are keen for an enriching travel experience in Warsaw, do sign up here. The organisation also provides other walking tours in Warsaw (e.g. Jewish Ghetto, Warsaw in War etc.) and also provides free walking tours in other major cities in Poland, including, Krakow, Wroclaw and Poznan!

As the weather appeared slightly positive after the walking tour, I decided to head up to St Anne’s Bell Tower for a panoramic view of Old Town. I would recommend a visit, which comes at a small price of 5 zloty!

Warsaw Poland
A hearty lunch of baked potato with toppings galore. A pitstop that led to a prize find!
Two museums are highly recommended for a visit here. The first of the two is the POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, which received the accolade for European Museum of the Year. The museum is split into eight galleries, with each depicting a different chapter of Polish Jews through images and artifacts. It is also situated in an area converted by the Nazis into the Warsaw Ghetto during World War II, and commemorates the thousand year history of the Polish Jews. Entrance to the museum is free on Thursday, but if not, it only costs 25 zlotys to enter and 10 zlotys to add on an English audio guide, which I would highly recommend!

Warsaw Poland POLIN Museum of the Polish Jews
An illustration of the Polish Jews' newspapers.
Warsaw Poland POLIN Museum of the Polish Jews
An illustration of how the interiors of a synagogue looks like.
A synagogue is a place where the Jewish prayed.
Warsaw Poland POLIN Museum of the Polish Jews
A mock-up of how the streets looked like back in the day.
Chopin was born in Warsaw and part of my recent interest to learn the piano was due to the strong music education available here in Poland. Despite my short weekend stay in Warsaw, I managed to attend Time for Chopin, a one hour piano concert, which showcased a selection of Chopin’s famous pieces, held on the grounds of the Royal Castle. A great inspiration and motivation to keep going with my piano classes!
Warsaw Poland Time for Chopin
Time for Chopin.
Warsaw Poland Time for Chopin
Mid-break Mead during Time for Chopin.
Warsaw Poland Time for Chopin
A lovely setup playing in the castle square - this photo was taken from my seat.
After a full days’ worth of activities, I headed off for dinner, for which I had made reservations at the highly acclaimed one Michelin star accredited Senses Restaurant, a full write-up of the experience I shall leave for a later blogpost.

Day Two kickstarted with brunch at Bulke Przez Bibulke. But well, before that, I was lazing in bed for abit whilst Facetiming D. A nice cozy cafe, just around the corner from the hotel.

Warsaw Poland Bulke Przez Bibulke Brunch Breakfast
The beautiful interiors of Bulke Przez Bibulke cafe.
Warsaw Poland Bulke Przez Bibulke Brunch Breakfast
Bulke Przez Bibulke cafe's hearty brunch of scrambled eggs and toast.
The most iconic structure that first greeted me when I stepped out from Warsaw Central Station on Day 1, was the Palace of Culture and Science. It left a deep “wow” effect. Standing as the tallest building in Warsaw, it boasts a panoramic views of the city. However, I decided to give this a miss as it was slightly cloudy, and I doubt it would beat the views I came across from Old Town’s St Anne Bell Tower the previous day.
Warsaw Poland Palace of Culture and Science
Warsaw's Palace of Culture and Science 
Warsaw Poland Palace of Culture and Science
Warsaw's Palace of Culture and Science
My last major sightseeing spot was the Warsaw Uprising Museum. This museum is dedicated to the fight for Poland’s independence during World War II. It filled me with great sadness as I went through the various images, artifacts and simulations. A very much worthwhile trip even though this was located some distance away from Old Town. Tourist Tip: Admissions to this museum is free on Sundays.

Warsaw Poland Warsaw Uprising Museum
The Warsaw Uprising Museum is filled with mock-ups and extracts from Poland's fight in the World War II. 
Warsaw Poland Warsaw Uprising Museum
The Warsaw Uprising Museum is filled with mock-ups and extracts from Poland's fight in the World War II. 
Warsaw Poland Warsaw Uprising Museum
The Warsaw Uprising Museum is filled with mock-ups and extracts from Poland's fight in the World War II. 
There is often a lot of excitement exploring new cities and having an insight to a local's life. I never knew I would one day fall in love with visiting museums and reading / learning more about a country's history. I know it is still pretty early on for my stay here, but I am looking forward to the next trip planned up!

Till the next adventure,
L

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I have just recently came back from Warsaw, where I went with my boyfriend to visit his family. We had such a great time! My boyfriend’s cousin showed us around and took us to their favorite places, so I got to know Warsaw from a locals’ perspective. One evening we also went to their favorite bar, and it was such an incredible place. It’s called Bubbles and their specialty is my favorite drink, champagne. We had few drinks a delicious dinner. I really loved it and it was one of the best evening from the entire trip :)

    ReplyDelete