WanderBellies

A Couple's Travel | Food | Lifestyle Blog

Senses - One of two Michelin Restaurants in Warsaw and the Reflections of a Solo Traveller

By Saturday, April 01, 2017 , , , , ,

Dining in a Michelin starred restaurant is not an everyday affair and it goes beyond the food experience (given the price of such meals are often not cheap). Even though I have only dined in a small number of Michelin starred restaurants, I enjoy the experience of having knowledgeable waiters share with you how each dish is meticulously created by the chef and the specially chosen seasonal ingredients. The climax then comes when each mouthful is a burst of flavours that are unexpected and bordering on inconceivable. Perhaps to justify the price, the duration of such meals are often longer than usual (~3 hours), hence it is often the dinner table conversations that complete the meal.

My itinerary for Warsaw came together really quickly (credits to D's super prompt turnaround on recommendations for edits + the perks of travelling solo) and in my research for food places to visit, I came across Senses Restaurant. I initially held apprehensions over dining solo in a Michelin starred restaurant - Would it be weird? What am I to do in between courses? Will I be judged?

Pushing those thoughts aside, I bit the courage pill and called the restaurant to make a reservation for one. During the call, the waitress asked if I was celebrating a special occasion. Not expecting that question, I responded with "well.. (thinks really hard)..it is my first time in Warsaw?" That literally came out as a question. Even though I am still embarrassed with my answer, now thinking back, this is a sign of good service, isn't it?

Back to the actual dinner. D and the rest of SG were asleep after I had found the restaurant and settled into my seat. Given that I was dining alone, I spent most of my time observing, reflecting and conversing with the waiters. Hence, I would like this post to be beyond the amazing food that I had tasted, and instead be about my dinner table reflections.

Reflection 1: A dinner table brings together a family of people. Take the time to enjoy each other's presence and to engage in meaningful conversation.

A well dressed family of three (father, mother and son) were in the restaurant when I arrived. One can tell that they are from the upper class given their dress sense and that their presence instigated a personal greeting by the head chef. They were perhaps regulars there. However, it was sad that during their entire dinner, the father was engaged on his smartphone whilst the son was either playing on his iPad Pro in between courses or gobbling down his food in order to earn his time on the iPad Pro. It is a pity to see that even though they are wealthy in material sense, that does not seem to extend into their relationship with each other at the dinner table.

D and I discussed this the next day, and I am glad to hear his views. Agree that it may not be easy to constantly be engaged in conversations with people that you meet everyday, but that should still not be a natural escape for one to prefer technology over the pure simple joy of enjoying each other's presence.

Reflection 2: Celebrate good meals beyond your other half and family. Do it with your friends, especially the ones that you hold dear to.

There was a table of two ladies sat diagonally across me. Whilst I did not know their story, it was clear that they were there for a celebration. Fine dining is probably not something they do often. Well, just based on my sense, really. This sight made me think about the meals that I have with my best friend, G. We often enjoy indulging in meals, creating occasions deserving of a celebration. And given that work has now pretty much taken over our lives, we eat well beyond just for occasions. That said, I do miss our weekly or bi-monthly dinner catch-ups now that I am here in Poland, even though I still do enjoy pretty good meals and with a mix of different people.

D and I both hold our friends really dear to our heart, and I think that is something that will not change over time.

Reflection 3: It is endearing to see old couples sharing conversations lovingly, giggling over each other's jokes and genuinely enjoying each other's company.

There were a few tables with old couples and it is indeed heartwarming to see how they still treat each other with that much love, patience and kindness. They probably fulfill the definition of what our generation would call #relationshipgoals. I believe that this is something we are no stranger to. Knowing is one thing, executing is another. And for sure, this is something we are constantly working on and I hope that you readers also share the same goals with your other half!

Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Senses Restaurant's version of a bespoked cocktail -
A mix of passion fruit, lychee, Belvedere vodka, vanilla and two other ingredients which I can no longer recall.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
A fancy bread platter to kickstart the meal.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Senses is out to surprise you with what is not shown on the menu.
The first amuse-bouche served to tickle the palette.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
And then the second amuse-bouche served.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
No, it does not end with two or three..
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Just as you start craving for more, this is the last amuse-bouche served.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
First course of the degustation menu: Sea Trout - Cucumber Salad - Cultello
Second course of the degustation menu: Pierogi Ruskie - Red Prawn - Smoked Cream
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Third course of the degustation menu: Pork Cheek - Tomato - Pea - Black Caviar - Herbal Ricotta
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Fourth course of the degustation menu: Seafood - Goulash - Lard - Yuzu - Rapini
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Fifth course of the degustation menu: Beef - Polish Korma - Leek - Potato - Mushrooms - Artichoke
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Sixth course of the degustation menu: Apple Pie
The meal does not end with one dessert, or two, or three, but at least six to ensure you leave satisfied.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
A creative and meticulous creation, which leaves one craving for more.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Yes, another dessert and the meal is not ending.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
Just when you think the surprise is over, Senses tops it up with a dry ice on 2 more desserts,
which leaves the rest of the customers in the restaurant wondering.
Warsaw Poland Senses Restaurant Michelin
A "cigar" to end the meal. Nicely smoked and beautifully put together.
You would think you are having a cigar, but truth is, this is a lot healthier on the lungs!


To the next foodie adventure.

xx,
L

You Might Also Like

0 comments