WanderBellies

A Couple's Travel | Food | Lifestyle Blog

Kam's - Descendant of a legend arrives in Singapore

By Sunday, November 27, 2016 , ,

Hong Kong has always held a special place with me. The territory has so many similarities with Singapore, but yet the differences are so stark. In part, it is because I have come across so many wonderful people from Hong Kong through my university days and my short professional life - many of whom I continue to hold dear to today. So much so that the annual family trip to Hong Kong is more a pilgrimage than anything else.

Coincidentally, I have ventured up north three times in the past year, each for entirely separate reasons - which in itself makes for distinct experiences. In May, I had the fortune of trying out the famed Kam's Roast Goose for lunch in Wan Chai with an old friend from my London days, just before rushing off, goose in tow, to catch my flight back to Singapore (and a near-connecting flight to Tokyo - a story for another day).


So when news hit that Kam's was making its first venture overseas to Singapore, I instantly raved to L about the country and all the wonderful experiences and places to visit. When L and I were wandering round Orchard last weekend, we were drawn to the crowds at Pacific Plaza and decided to give it a shot, at the expense of Tsuta next door.


The roast duck was definitely a worthy replacement for the traditional goose, though it didn't quite match that unique flavour you get with a goose. The fantastic plum sauce and wanton noodles, supposedly air flown daily, did somewhat make up for this shortfall.


The star of the show, in my opinion, was the toro pork. Albeit on the fatty side, the meat was oozing with melt-in-your-mouth goodness. As well, charred on the outside to give that extra boost of flavour. However, both L and I felt that the other meats we had, the soy chicken and roast pork, were rather standard.

Must say that the service staff made good effort in adding a personal touch, however their internal procedures remain far from being well-rehearsed. Though I am sure they will iron this out over time.

Hong Kong, we will be back.

D

You Might Also Like

0 comments